Sunday, April 30, 2006

Guest Blogger Willie Barr Reviews Manhattan Beach


I knew something out of the ordinary was happening when my dad grabbed the long red leash. Hooray! Then my mom put the car harness on me. Double hooray! I was so excited I danced around the house barking.

I thought maybe it was too good to be true and couldn't help crying a little until we turned left on Ocean Ave instead of right. This meant we were not going to the doctor. After that I could relax and copilot until we got to Sheepshead Bay, where I was beside myself with anticipation. They kept yelling at me from the front seat to sit down, but how could I with all the crazy smells coming in through the window? I smelled fish! Swans! Female dogs! What am I, made of wood?

There weren't too many dogs at the beach, but I got a little nervous anyway. Some of the humans were making words I didn't recognize. If this happens to you, don't worry, you will still be able to communicate, especially with the dogs. Humans like to speak different languages, but we dogs know better.

We walked through the sand, and it felt marvellous on my toes. And before us was a vast, beautiful body of water. I had to stand and bark at the marvel of it. You will not believe this: the water splashes on you without any hose or anything! It moves by itself. Incredible!


Whatever you do, don't drink the water. It looks good, and smells even better, but then you go to taste it, and it's salty and nasty. It's a dirty trick, I think. You're better off bringing your own.


Dad found a beautiful, smelly, waterlogged stick, which I loved. He threw it in the water, so I had to go in after it! But here's a tip, and I learned it the hard way: that water will come at you just when you aren't looking. If you are patient, you'll notice the stick will return with the water, so you don't have to wade in over your head. Just go in up to your torso, then wait for the stick to come back on its own.

There are all sorts of cool things under the water, if you look down. Like rocks, and shells, and this wonderful-smelling creature below!


When the water recedes, there are plenty of great things to investigate, just be careful, because the water always comes back.

All in all, Manhattan Beach was a pleasant experience. I enjoyed myself so much I didn't even mind getting in the bathtub when we got home.



2 comments:

Myfanwy Collins said...

Yay! What a happy, handsome boy!

Anne Elliott said...

Thanks, Myfanwy & Geenetzie. We had fun. But no more dogs on the sand after May 1--boo hoo! I'm searching for another beach that allows dogs around here...