Tuesday, October 10, 2006

And I Thought I Was a Proj-Aholic.


On a tip from Make Magazine, I went to a Swap-o-Rama on Sunday, held at Third Ward in Williamsburg. Here's how it worked: you bring a bag of clothes you don't want and $10. People sort the stuff onto tables, and you wander around and take as much as you can carry. During breaks from the digging, you can have a cocktail, talk to a stylist, or learn how to make your own maxipads.




They had lots of workshops, like tee shirt redesign, silkscreen, applique, and my personal favorite, re-knitting. Look, they have samples of re-knit tee shirt, denim, and even plastic grocery bags.




I scored a zebra striped raincoat and some red snake-patterned pants. And, I got a free copy of the new Craft magazine, which has cool articles about knitting with telephone poles and embroidiering your skateboard, among other things. Craft has a whole slew of photos of the Swap-o-Rama here at flickr.

5 comments:

chartreuse velour said...

noice!

my current projects:

1. napkins, made from an old fitted sheet

2. a cable-knit cardigan

3. cards made from a rubber stamp i carved myself, tried housepaint, didnt work, have to get real lino ink

4. a lace scarf

5. a novel

6. a labrodorite necklace

7. probably some more stuff i'm not remembering right now.


are going to rhinebeck?

http://www.sheepandwool.com/

chartreuse velour said...

oh! and happy belated birthday!

Anne Elliott said...

Chartreuse, glad to know I'm not alone in working on a novel, sweater, and home furnishings at the same time.

meika said...

i'm supposed to be finishing the short story collection, completing the set of shelves with the glass doors and realted wood project so I can clear the shed to start on the recumbent tricycle, instead I am commenting on a blog for all the good it will do me.

Anne Elliott said...

Wood projects, Meika! I need to take some of those on too.