Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Because I'm Loco

This projaholic has resisted NaNoWriMo for years but the prospect of writing something that

1. will never be read (not even by me, not even while I'm writing it)
2. doesn't have to be good
3. will not take me years and years to finish

took over my brain. At long last, I will write my "workplace novel." I've got my list of prompts, and I'm on my way to writing some real unpublishable garbage. Go me!! And all you other Wrimos out there. Let's toast to lowering our standards. I'll let you know how it goes.

If it doesn't work out I'll knit something ugly and then unravel it. Same idea...

4 comments:

clem said...

Hey doll,

Only 1667 words a day. Cake.

Actually it's a very valuable excercise. It's like peeling off linoleum to see what's underneath.

Good luck with it.

Anne Elliott said...

Thanks, Clem! You've done it too, right? Am I remembering correctly? Is this the secret behind your prolificness?

So far I'm on schedule and having fun. But I imagine I'll hit the wall sometime the second week, like they say.

clem said...

Hey,

Yes I've done it several times. But no -- do the math:

500 words a day x 300 days a year = 150,000 words a year, or 3+ Gatsby Units.

Walls, after all, are made to be hit.

Anne Elliott said...

Yes, the Gatsby units! I had forgotten about that.

I'm still chipping away at the linoleum. I'm not finding any subfloors, but I'm not hitting any walls either.