Thursday, October 27, 2005

Why I Love Brooklyn...It's the Dirt


So I actually read my snail mail a couple weeks ago and saw the announcement for compost give-back from the NYC Sanitation Department. They have a compost facility way the heck out in Canarsie, and I drove out there with a bunch of bags in the back of the Subaru Wagon.

It was one of those cool cross-sections of NYC, like the subway. People of all shapes, sizes, colors, and languages, shoveling the free compost into bags. A guy from New York's Strongest helped me load a half a dozen bags. Here's how it looks in our garden! The lasagna bed is coming along: a layer of newspaper, then peat moss, then topsoil, then fireplace ashes (I'm improvising now) and now compost. Maybe we'll be able to grow some great heirloom veggies next year!

Wilbur chimed in with his opinion. WOOF! Translation: "I LOVE DIRT!"

5 comments:

clem said...

You're lucky.

The soil in many Brooklyn backyards was mixed with ground glass to a depth of a foot. It was thought that the ground glass kept rats from burrowing. Of course it didn't so you ended up with both the rats and the glass.

I recall the glint of it on more thn one occasion -- evil stuff.

Anne Elliott said...

Clem: so you get severed rat paws and broken glass? Oof! This is why I am building up. Not so much glass, but plenty of rocks if I start going down.

Geenetzie: Willie sends his thanks. Unlike the cats, he loves having his picture taken.

Anne Elliott said...

I think we're going back this weekend for more compost...they'll be open for business on 10/29 and 10/30.

Here's info:
Compost Giveback

Myfanwy Collins said...

I love your pup. Look at his little face. He and my dog could be from the same litter.

Anne Elliott said...

Myfanwy, judging by that pic of your dog you posted on your blog recently, they sure do look alike.