Thursday, October 27, 2005

WORD BY WORD on Podcast

I finally figured out how to get Jordan Rosenfeld's WORD BY WORD podcasts into my iTunes. I may be the last to figure out stuff like this so bear with me. This is a great improvement, since I have trouble connecting to KRCB streams, and now I will have a local archive, and won't miss any future content!

Today I listened to her wonderful 10/17 interview with TC Boyle. A great focus on process and the writing life, including Boyle reading an excerpt of a story. Boyle downplays his prolific writing life, makes it sound like the most fun job in the world. He also speaks frankly about talent, and about how the lucky folks are the ones who figure out what their talents are.

(I have no idea what my talents are. I only know I enjoy writing, even though it may prove to be more hobby than vocation. All I know is I'm having fun. And struggling, too, but mostly having fun.)

If you haven't heard her shows yet, Rosenfeld is an insightful interviewer, focusing not only on the work, but on the day-to-day of writing, nuts and bolts stuff that we writers crave. This writer anyway.

Here's how to get it into iTunes (and you techies, don't laugh at me):
1. go to http://krcb.podgram.net/
2. in iTunes, the Advanced menu, click Subsribe to Podcast.
3. copy or drag the url next to Jordan's beautiful picture into the iTunes dialog box.

I don't recommend using KRCB's application Personal Translator (please, no offense). I tried it, and it didn't work well with my other applications open. This is necessary if you're going to listen to internet radio at work.

Thank god for public radio, and thanks to Jordan Rosenfeld for a great program.

3 comments:

Myfanwy Collins said...

Isn't she great? She has such genuine affection for her the writing of her guests. She's never sly, never trying to pull one over on someone to make herself look cool--she's just always genuine, smart, humane. In short, my favorite sort of interviewer.

Cyndi Cady said...

Hi Anne,
How many of those shows do you have archived? I was one of the interviewers and I would love to be able to access some of the shows!

Thanks,
Cyndi

Anne Elliott said...

Hi Cyndi: I apologize, I think this post was from a previous incarnation of this computer--before it got a virus and I had to wipe it. I didn't backup my audio files...The radio station did not archive?