Friday, November 03, 2006

Toy or Tool? Or Both?


Confession time, I have a new bourgeois toy. Sweet Hubby got me a new camera for my 40th. I'm just starting to figure out what it can do. I'm starting with portraiture. Above is Queen Egypt Holwerda-Williams, who visits us for about a month every year while her folks go to Holland. And boy, is she in charge.

The new camera lets me capture motion. Here's Ava trying to decide which food bowl is better.



I'm still getting the hang of it. The lens gets some good color. Here's our little crosseyed Angus.



What I like is now I have more control, I just need to learn how to use it. I can manual focus, and turn the flash off, to get natural light. Like the gorgeous brown eyes of Wilbur, now free of that green crap I used to get whenever he looked in the lens.



So first project is to make a good Christmas card. We've done family portraits for the past three years. Maybe I'll try to digitize them and share our little history, with its changing personae.

5 comments:

Myfanwy Collins said...

Very nice!

christopherlee said...

very cute. I remember Egypt. Do you JUST rescue feral cats or do you offer them for adoption? you could set aside a section of your blog for that with your new high res camera.

Anne Elliott said...

Thanks, guys!

Chris, unfortunately the cats in our backyard are unadoptable. Vince is friendly, but he sprays, and the others don't like to be touched. Ach! But there will be more photos of them, cuz I love them anyway.

Anonymous said...

Your animals are so lovely!

Anne Elliott said...

Stephanie: thanks! They are more cuddly than photogenic, but I'm working on that. Trying to get them to hold still.