Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Some Scrappy-Ass Summer Volunteers




I didn't have time to plant annuals this year, but these 8-footers chipped in and planted themselves anyway.


Gardening is all about learning, and this year I learned that if you take a year off from planting, it ain't the end of the world. We'd been meaning to replace the rotten fence on the side of the house, so I left that area alone completely. But the sunflowers had another plan. I guess the squirrels didn't get all the seeds last year.

Other volunteers were morning glory, which are now becoming an attractive nuisance, making their own trellises on hosta stems and rotten fence and even a stick I leaned up against the house. And I was surprised one evening to find Thai basil growing in a flower box on our back stoop.

Next year I may try to rein it in, but this year, I'm enjoying the wild action.

No comments: