Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The 500-Word Memoir

I entered Opium Magazine's 500-Word Memoir contest and managed to make the short list! I may not have a book-length memoir in me, but I could manage 450 words. I just wanted to support Opium, with my last-minute entry, since I have benefited from their terrific parties in the past. And now, not only this needed shot in the arm, but my net-friend Clifford Garstang is on the list too. Congrats, Cliff!

My story is about the 1972 Republican convention. I started it in Lynda Barry's class, on the assignment to list ten American presidents. So now you know it's not fiction. Yes, I really did shout, "Four more years!" I was caught up in the moment. I was also in first grade.

My politics have changed. My brother's too. For the better, I hope.

Support Opium. Watch their Literary Death Match TV. It's hilarious. And don't hesitate to comment...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Congratulations again! Your memoir sounds more fun than mine, which is kind of a downer. Making the shortlist encourages me to try more non-fiction, though.

I'd love to go to an Opium party . . .

Anne Elliott said...

My memoir's kind of a downer too. I can't wait to read yours!

I'm encouraged on the nonfiction front too. I must admit. I always think I have no story, but I know in my heart that's not true. EVERYBODY does.

I would love to meet you at an Opium party. I'd love to go to the Paris launch, but that's undoable...

Luckily, they film some of them, so us netfolks can enjoy vicariously.

katrina said...

Congratulations, Anne! Congrats to Cliff, too!